12/1/08

Snowboarding: Harder than it looks!

Ben and I finally took the plunge yesterday and headed out to the Rockies for our very first snowboarding lesson. Having hit the ski hills just once when I was 14, I was feeling pretty intimidated by the masses of people at the mountain who clearly felt right at home cruising around with their skis or snowboards. Here's a look at one of the lifts at Sunshine Village, where we went (we're hoping to get a waterproof camera to take our own shots next time!):

After only a few minutes of learning the basics, I suddenly found myself in a chair lift going up a very high slope, and panic set in. I would have to get back down somehow, and the only device I had was this massive snowboard dangling from my foot. Ben managed to calm me down, and next thing I knew I was sliding off of the lift chair and toppling over in the snow. "Move to the side," my instructor was shouting. I scooted on my butt away from the danger zone and then made my way slowly to the top of the hill we were expected to get down.

Ben and the other girl in our class went first without too much trouble, but then it was my turn. It was a slow and painful descent down the mountain, as I could hardly make it two feet without tipping over. The instructor ended up snowboarding in front of me and holding my hands for most of the way down. I wish I could have seen myself! Ben said he would look up and see me fall over face-first when I was not even moving on the snowboard!

About 3/4 of the way down the hill, I was so frustrated that I unsnapped my board and walked the rest of the way - luckily, it was time for our lunch break by then. With a bit of food and a beer in me, I decided to give the hill a second chance, and things slowly got better. Sure, the instructor taught Ben and the other gal more advanced moves like turning and spinning while making me do balancing exercises, but I was just happy that by the end of the day, I had managed to go for about 5 seconds at a time without falling.

I was so sore from the weird leg muscles I used and the numerous spills that I decided to head to the lodge early for some hot chocolate while Ben finished the lesson. I woke up today feeling like somebody hit me all over with a baseball bat, and needing a pillow to sit on due to the massive bruise on my rear, but damned if I am stopping now!!

Snowboarding is one of the hardest things I have done in a long time, and I would love to say that I have mastered it. So I fully intend to go back next weekend, and many more times during the snow season, and keep on trying until I can get down a hill on my own!

No comments: