3/26/11

Would you like a burger with those fries?

As our time in Calgary nears an end (we move back to Nashville at the end of May!), Ben and I are realizing there are a few things we still need to do before leaving this amazing little corner of the world.

Today was a snowy, slushy, windy day that looked like this:





Beautiful to look at, but not so inviting for a nice spring stroll! So to pass our Saturday afternoon, we headed to Home Depot to scope out ideas for our newly purchased home in Nashville (more on that later!!). We quickly realized that close to Home Depot was Calgary's most beloved diner, Peters' Drive-In. What better time to check this must-do off the list?

Peters' Drive-In is an old-school institution: cash-only, and nothing on the menu but hamburgers in an array of sizes, hotdogs and ice cream concoctions. The only snag? Ummm... I'm mostly vegetarian - haven't had a hamburger in nearly three years!!

Our orders were simple : double cheeseburger and vanilla shake for Ben, and (gasp!) I decided to order a single cheeseburger and chocolate shake, and give the ol' burger a whirl. I was in the mood to live on the edge after eating half a ribeye last night.

We thought the logical choice was to share a large order of fries, since we were both hungry and we don't often treat ourselves to such a grease fest! As we pulled up to the window to retrieve our gluttonous treats, the cashier was giving us an odd look as she said the fries would take another minute longer. Why, you may be wondering?

Well, here is what our large order of fries looked like:



Yes, that is a huge paper sack filled (and I mean FILLED) with fries!! After getting over our initial shock and several minutes of laughing hysterically, we commenced hamburger eating. It was a big moment for me, and I was pretty scared:




But I forged ahead and I can't lie - I finished off this entire burger which, in the photo looks about as big as my head. And yes, I enjoyed it, although I doubt this will be a regular thing for me any time soon ... so don't get too excited, you veggie nay-sayers!

Oh, and in case anybody is wondering, sweet Max was napping in the backseat, oblivious to the hamburger and french fry mayhem occurring up front!

1 comment:

L S said...

We had a similar OMG! FRIES! moment at Peter's Drive In last fall. I have never felt so fat in my entire life, but it was completely worth it.