12/15/08

Cold New Frontiers

Temperatures plummeted this weekend, with Saturday and Sunday hovering between 26 and 30 below Celsius (-20 F). The horror!! To say I was shocked by the cold would be an understatement. It was much more emotionally challenging than I would have thought. Coming from such a temperate climate, there is something that feels restrictive to me about the extreme cold. I miss wearing dresses and high heels and not spending 30 minutes layering up just to step outside!

After a rigorous routine of putting on layer after layer of clothes, Ben and I headed out yesterday morning to get coffee at a little spot several blocks away. When I stepped outside and took a deep breath, the cold, dry blast hit the back of my throat so hard that I coughed. The ten-minute walk felt like an eternity. I think the worst part of this sort of cold is being grazed by a gust of wind on your bare face - ski masks are probably helpful in this situation!

When we walked into the coffee shop, we noticed that the inside of the door was covered in a thick layer of frost. Similarly, on Saturday we drove to the movie theater only to return a few hours later to find that the inside of the car had almost as much frost as the outside. I've never seen anything like it. The craziest thing is that life actually goes on here at 30 below. I am sticking to my belief that there is something unnatural about humans living an environment as inhospitable as this one!

To cope with the cold, we'll keep right on with the skiing and snowboarding - speaking of which, Ben and I both purchased our own equipment! We can't wait until it warms up a wee bit (ie, 16 below instead of 30 below) this weekend so that we can hit the slopes again.

Other than battling the cold, we also attended KPMG's Christmas party, which was a blast, on Friday night. We had heard that when it gets this cold, it is virtually impossible to get a cab in Calgary, and boy was that the truth. So Ben and I were left to walk the 5 blocks to the party. I slipped on my clunky black boots, tucked my stilettos into a big handbag, and cracked a joke about whether the party would have a boot check in addition to the coat check. Astonishingly, there WAS a boot check! Who knew?!

No comments: