10/14/08

More Downtown Snapshots!

I finally got some photos of the downtown riverfront and park yesterday during a stroll with Ben and Bosco. Prince's Island Park is HUGE, and I think we've only seen a fraction of it so far! By Calgary standards, it was a very warm fall day with sun shining and a high temp hovering in the low 60s.

I guess that by most standards that is a gorgeous day! The street you see Ben standing on is Stephen's Walk, a pedestrian shopping and dining street in the middle of downtown. The pic of the Curling Club is for my dad, curling's biggest fan!



After having spent pretty much 24/7 with Ben for the past few weeks, it's a strange feeling to suddenly be on my own in a new city while he's training in Vancouver. I had the chance to drive around yesterday and get lost (the best way to learn your way around!), and am enjoying some quiet time this morning while I wait for the temperature to peak out for an afternoon walk with Bosco.

I'll leave you with a few random observations for the day:

* Calgarians LOVE their coffee. Almost every block has either a Starbucks or one of the other popular Canadian chains like Tom Horton's, the "anti-Starbucks," which refuses to serve frou-frou drinks - only straight-up coffee!
* Canadians are very polite and rarely honk while driving (this doesn't stop them from driving crazy, though!)
* One-dollar coins are called Loonies, and Two-dollar coins are called Toonies. Gotta love it!!
* Aquatic centers are big here, oddly enough. I'll probably visit them often, not for swimming, but to sit in the saunas and warm up!
* Streets are often called "Trails"
* Organic, free-grazing Albertan beef is THE food to eat ... I may have to re-think vegetarianism with all this local, high-quality meat around me.
* Certain things are inexplicably expensive - $12 for a 6-pack of Budweiser or Molson, but it's the same price for a 6-pack of top-notch local beer! Pasta and rice are twice as much as in the US, while exotic things like my fave organic teas, breads, produce and OJ are the same or less. There's some food for thought ...

No comments: