10/17/08

Designer Lust

Exploring local shops and styles is one of my favorite things to do in a new city. While I have not been overwhelmingly impressed with Calgary's fashion options (what can I say, Nashville has come a long way and is hard to beat in that area!), today I wandered into some amazing home decor boutiques that will have me coming back for more, especially since they are blocks from where we'll be living.

I was definitely drooling over all of the bright Marimekko prints and papers and Hans Wegner chairs at Kit Interior Objects, and am in love with the rugged, wood-carved side table at Domicile Interiors as well as their in-house designed organic sofas and chairs. I'm noticing a Scandinavian theme here :)

I also walked by a building with a sign reading "Danish-Canadian Club" and am on a quest to learn more about this exclusive group!

There are several more shops I walked by that will be worth a visit. If I can't get my fashion fix, at least I can get my decorating fix easily!

While we're on the topic of fashion, I have to admit that right now I am pretty excited about the snuggly ski jackets I slipped into at the Mountain Equipment Co-op, a fabulously huge outdoors shop. It seems style in Calgary is either polished business wear, or hardy outdoor gear, or a combo of both. I guess it's just not sensible to invest in lots of cute clothes when they will mostly be covered by outerwear.

Not that this sensibility will stop me and my fashion-seeking ways!

1 comment:

[cmh] said...

Just wanted to say that I really enjoy reading about you exploring Calgary. Mostly because I did the same thing myself two years ago when I moved from Sweden to Calgary to work for a year. Your blog reminds me of how much I miss Calgary, the Rockies, MEC, the weather and most of all the people.

Keep writing.