3/17/09

Friends!

I had the best weekend in Atlanta, where I was lucky enough to be able to meet up with my best girlfriends from UT Knoxville. It's been a while since we managed a trip that was not centered around a wedding or other major event, so it felt like there were years' worth of things to catch up on! I don't think the four of us stopped talking for more than a few hours to sleep both nights - literally - we were up until 6am Friday and Saturday! It was cathartic and wonderful to have all that quality time with some of the people who know me better (and for longer) than almost anybody!

I feel so lucky to have as many close friends and family as I do, not to mention my amazing man who backs up my need for girls' time - a gal couldn't ask for more in life! Now I'm excited to see my Nashville folk when we finally come home for a visit in June.

In local Calgary news, I think the city is trying its hardest to give us a taste of spring: days are getting longer, with daylight until almost 8pm now, the sun is shining and the temperature is nudging up above the freezing point this week. By Canada standards, I think this is as spring-like as March gets.

One hazard of spring is that with the fluctuating temps, snow is constantly melting, forming rivers where the sidewalk should be, and then re-freezing into treacherous ice patches! I know this from experience - today I went, to use a Canadian expression, "ass over tea-kettle" on the ice, meaning I went head over heels and landed flat on my back - ouch! Luckily I didn't sustain any major injuries, but Bosco definitely got a scare when I was suddenly down at his level. I guess it's all just a normal part of life for Canucks!

No comments: