3/9/09

Calgary and Me: An Old Married Couple?

I think it's safe to say that my honeymoon period with Calgary has ended, just as I knew it eventually would. Don't get me wrong - there's a lot that I love about this city: kind people, walk-ability, a good farmer's market and restaurants, our lively neighborhood, and most of all - proximity to the amazing Rockies. But as time goes on it's only natural to find flaws alongside the perks.

What has essentially brought such an abrupt end to the honeymoon phase is - you guessed it - the weather! As my body clock is gearing up for spring (it is March, after all), Calgary instead has brought more snow and gut-wrenching temps to the tune of -24 to -17 Celsius. What I wouldn't give for a good thunderstorm! Calgary is very arid and is almost considered to have a desert-like climate. Which means that since moving here, I have not seen rain - only snow!! Since October 6th, the day we arrived, it has rained twice. Both times were overnight, with little sign of the shower by morning. My emotions seem to so closely follow the weather that this lack of rain leaves me feeling a bit stifled. There is something so refreshing about a great downpour!

Aside from the weather, I've recently learned that although health care is fully covered by the Albertan government, the system is far from perfect. Our friend tore the ligament in her knee while skiing a few weeks ago, and is still in the process of getting a proper evaluation. I've been told that for my annual physical in August, I should start calling for an appointment now. The only way to get in with a doctor is by getting insider information about which doctors are new to town and would therefore be taking patients. Since doctors are paid by the appointment, apparently it is also common that they'll require you to schedule separate appointments if you wish to discuss more than one issue. Nutty! Of course no place is perfect. Calgary has tons to offer, just as long as we are young and healthy!

Aside from the minor frustrations that are coming to light, this is a once-in-a-lifetime experience that I'll always treasure, so we are making due by continuing to ski and get outdoors when it's bearable, watching lots of movies, and enjoying dinner parties and wine with the great friends we've made up here. I'll leave you with a photos from last weekend's party at Almu's place, complete with a cut-throat game of Cranium, and from our weekend ski get-away to Banff two weeks ago, which was a really fun (and gorgeous) two days!

No comments: