11/7/08

Goooo ... Preds? Flames?

My nimble hubby was quick on his feet yesterday and nabbed us a pair of hockey tickets from a fellow KPMG'er. And let's be realistic - these tickets are hard to come by. I figured we might catch a game after another few weeks of trying for seats. The best part? The Calgary Flames were playing the Nashville Predators!

We put on whatever red clothes we could find as to blend with the hooligan-like Flames fans, still unsure who to root for. But as soon as the game started, there was no question. Instinctually, I found myself cheering for the Preds and groaning when my hometown team missed one goal after another. My outcries were a total gut reaction, so luckily we were surrounded by families and mellowed-out couples, none of whom seemed like they would pummel me over the head for cheering for Nashville.

Sadly for us, the Predators were dominated for most of the game, with the score at 5-0 for a while. We even lost in the two fist fights that erupted on the ice. It is so strange to watch - the referees simply stand and watch as the players fight it out, only interjecting after there is a clear loser or winner. Clearly this is all part of the show. It's very theatrical!

The final score was respectable - 7-6 with the Flames taking the win. And the experience was a blast - much like football, but in an enclosed space (added tension) and a much faster-paced game. I was never a huge supporter of the Predators back at home, but now I feel bad for them that their homefield advantaged is almost non-existent. Nashvillians just have not embraced hockey. I imagine it will take some time before they can fill an arena to the brims three nights a week and still have fans chanting, stomping and generally acting fools the entire time! But when we return home, I definitely plan to catch a few games :)

No comments: