9/26/10

Autumn


This time of year seems to make me feel the most homesick, probably because autumn in Tennessee is by far my favorite time of year, and Tennessee is my favorite place to enjoy that first breath of crisp air and glimpse of leaves changing to orange and yellow and red. Plus there are so many great memories of the fall in Tennessee, like our amazing October wedding, football season, and of course my birthday! After a somewhat disappointing Calgary summer that seemed to segway right into a gray, wintery September, I was beginning to worry there would be nothing nice between spring and another winter.

But Ben and I just spent my birthday weekend in the Rockies and after all my complaining about Alberta's lack of a real autumn and leaves changing, I was happily proven wrong. Proven wrong by Alberta's stunning larch trees and a couple of gorgeous sunny days! Somehow we totally missed the larches last autumn, but they are scattered across the mountainsides and valleys, offering the most spectacular bright yellow leaves, which are a stunning contrast to the deep green pines, gray mountains and bright blue sky.




I feel vindicated in a way, like I have not completely missed out on what is, in my opinion, the best time of year. The Rockies continue to surprise me! Here are a few photos of our trip into the mountains, and the view of Calgary from our balcony - even Calgary has exploded into a fall paradise over the weekend, so I will soak it up while I can!



No comments: