1/26/09

Viva Las Vegas!

We had a fab girls' weekend in Las Vegas, my first trip to Sin City as an adult. It was so refreshing to wander around in the sunny, 60-something weather for two days, especially since Calgary had dropped back down to -6 Fahrenheit by the time we left early Saturday morning!

The trip reminded me of some of my favorite things about the US - namely, the people. I love the openness and warmth of Americans. We may talk too much sometimes, or act overly boisterous or inappropriate, but there is something to be said for a smile that comes easily and the feeling that nobody is really a stranger.

I am about to make some sweeping generalizations, so this certainly does not apply to everybody, but my feeling for the most part is that Canadians, while unfailingly polite, are quite reserved compared to their counterparts to the South. This is not a flaw in my mind, just a different attitude that takes some getting used to. Calgarians have been nothing but kind and polite for the most part, and I think that they are simply more cautious about revealing their emotions, which I fully respect even if it is not my own personal style.

In short, it felt great to be back in the US for two days - it was a temporary return to my comfort zone - but it also feels wonderful to be back in Calgary, pursuing something different and letting the cold, crisp air once again fill my lungs and refresh my spirit.

Alicia, Almu and I had a blast exploring, enjoyed an amazing dinner and Sake at TAO, did some quality shopping, a bit of gambling, danced the night away at Pure, and overall just had a great time being girls and taking advantage of our upgrade to a fabulous room at the MGM Signature (what an amazing room and hotel!):)

No comments: