1/6/09

A Breath of Fresh Air

First off, Happy New Year! Ben and I enjoyed a cozy dinner at home (I tried my hand at cooking black eyed peas) and then headed to one of our favorite neighborhood bars, The Ship & Anchor, to celebrate.

The year's off to a good start so far: thanks to a little help from my new best friend, the Chinook winds, the abysmal -20s Celsius weather Calgary has endured over the past month has moved north, at least for a while! Being the sun-loving, heat-seeking girl I am, I never thought I would say this, but at -6 and sunny, Sunday was a beautiful day. We were slated to go skiing with friends, but we woke to a dead car battery so instead spent the day wandering the neighborhood and taking Bosco for a nice long walk and enjoying the relative warmth.

By all standards, the weather is still really cold, but after weeks of feeling trapped indoors (there are no clothes warm enough to make it OK to walk around in -20!), this warming up of sorts is totally refreshing. Bosco is a happier dog, too - for a while, the only exercise he got was when we forced him to run up eight flights of stairs with us to our apartment.

Luckily, we have lots of entertainment to keep us distracted from any more cold that comes our way; this weekend we are heading to Fernie, a ski resort in British Columbia, with a group from Ben's work, and at the end of the month, I get to head to Vegas with the girls!

The reality of the winter here recently hit me like a ton of bricks (we will be bundling up well into April), so as an antedote, Ben and I are planning a trip to Hawaii for the spring. I am already dreaming of sandy beaches and sun rays warming my body.

When we moved into our apartment, our landlord made a comment that stuck with me - he said that if we didn't find a winter activity to enjoy, this time of year would become our nemesis, which is not a good thing considering how long winter lasts in these parts. So we are doing our best to stay busy until the deep freeze is over!

No comments: