2/11/09

Making Changes

I want to give a shout out to the fabulous organization I've started volunteering for: the Making Changes Employment Association of Alberta. For the past few weeks, my Tuesdays have been dedicated to this group, and it's one of the most fun and rewarding experiences I've had in ages!

At the Walk-in Closet, women in transition (from shelters, survival jobs, imprisonment, abusive relationships, etc.) get the chance to "shop" for several outfits that will be appropriate for a professional position. My jobs include sorting clothes that are donated and working as an "image consultant," during which time I get to spend an hour and a half essentially playing dress-up with each client! This is my kind of volunteer job!

It's amazing to see women come through the doors of the Walk-in Closet feeling nervous and insecure, and then watch them leave feeling confident in their new look. Although I know that new clothes are not the answer to all problems (just some problems!), I cannot say enough about the importance for women to feel beautiful and proud of their appearance as part of a healthy attitude about life. Many of the women I've worked with comment that they have never gone shopping or owned anything that's not second-hand (corporate donors make it possible for the Walk-in Closet to offer some clothes that are brand new!)

When I offered to put a client's clothes in her dressing room while she kept browsing, she was shocked and said she was not used to receiving service while shopping. I overheard another woman explaining how she had been kicked out of McDonald's after purchasing a burger there and trying to sit inside and eat. And on my first day of volunteering, I worked with a woman who was impeccably dressed, well-spoken and clearly came from an affluent lifestyle. When I first spoke to her, she teared up while explaining that she had lost everything and only had the clothes on her back, literally. She was looking for a fresh start outside of Alberta, and I did my best to help her and make her visit a fun and positive one. If I saw her on the street, I would not for a second think that this woman needed help, and I got the sense that she swallowed a lot of pride to ask for it. I imagine that admitting one needs help is probably the hardest thing for many people to do.

One of the most striking things about my experience so far is the realization that anybody can fall on hard times at any point, and that I should really appreciate what I have while I have it!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Darling, this sounds wonderful. You have truly embraced this volunteer experience and it sounds like you are really helping to improve these ladies' lives and futures. Can't wait to talk about it more with you when I see you in a month. Love ya, Purd